Guide for Landlords

Before a property can be let, there are several matters which the owner will need to deal with to ensure that the tenancy runs smoothly, and also that he/she complies with the law. We provide summarized information below. If you require further advice or assistance with any matter, please do not hesitate to contact us:

Preparing the Property

We have found that a good relationship with Tenants is the key to a smooth-running tenancy. As Property Managers this relationship is our job, but it is important that the Tenants should feel comfortable in their temporary home, and that they are receiving value for their money. It follows therefore that a well presented and maintained property in a good decorative order will go towards this, whilst also achieving a higher rental figure. Tenants are also more inclined to treat such a property with greater respect.


Your property can be let fully furnished, part furnished or unfurnished. Which of these is appropriate will depend on the type of property and local market conditions. We will be pleased to give you advice on whether to furnish or not and to what level. As a minimum you will need to provide decent quality carpets, curtains and light fittings. Remember that there will be wear and tear on the property and any items provided.

General Condition

Electrical, gas plumbing, waste, central heating and hot water systems must be safe, sound and in good working order. Repairs and maintenance are at the Landlords expense unless misuse can be established. Interior decorations should be in good condition and preferably plain, light and neutral.

Personal items

Personal possessions, ornaments, pictures, books etc. should be removed from the premises, especially those of real or sentimental value. Some items may be boxed, sealed and stored in the loft at the owner’s risk. All cupboards and shelf space should be left clear for the Tenant’s own use.


At the commencement of the tenancy the property must be in a thoroughly clean condition, and at the end of each tenancy it is the Tenants’ responsibility to leave the property in a similar condition. Where they fail to do so, cleaning will be arranged at their expense.


Gardens should be left neat, tidy and rubbish free, with any lawns cut. We can arrange Garden maintenance for you as required.

Information for the Tenant

It is helpful if you leave information for the Tenant, e.g. on operating the central heating and hot water system, washing machine and alarm system, and the day refuse is collected etc


You should provide one set of keys for each Tenant. Our office will arrange to have duplicates cut as required.

Other Considerations

  • Mortgage

    If your property is mortgaged, you should obtain your mortgagee’s written consent to the letting. They may require additional clauses in the tenancy agreement of which you must inform us.

  • Leaseholds

    If you are a leaseholder, you should check the terms of your lease, and obtain any necessary written consent before letting.

  • Insurance

    You should ensure that you are suitably covered for letting under both your buildings and contents insurance. Failure to inform your insurers may invalidate your policies.

  • Bills and regular outgoings

    We recommend that you arrange for regular outgoings e.g. service charges, maintenance contracts etc. to be paid by standing order or direct debit. However, by prior written agreement we may make payment of certain bills on your behalf, provided such bills are received in your name at our office, and that sufficient funds are held to your credit.

  • Utility accounts

    We will arrange for the transfer of utility accounts to the Tenant. Meter readings will be taken, allowing your closing gas and electricity accounts to be drawn up.

  • Mortgage

    If your property is mortgaged, you should obtain your mortgagee’s written consent to the letting. They may require additional clauses in the tenancy agreement of which you must inform us.

B.E.R (Building Energy Rating) (B.E.R.s)

Since 1st January 2009 landlords in Ireland offering property for rent are required by law to hold a B.E.R. Certificate for their property and provide prospective tenants with a copy. We can arrange an B.E.R inspection for our landlord clients upon request.

TAX & Revenue

What types of Rental Income are there?

Rental income from letting a house, flat, apartment, office, building etc. is the most common type.
Income from easements, i.e. if payment is received for the right to erect advertising signs, communication transmitters, conacre or grazing rights.
Certain leases, normally on non-residential property such as a shop or warehouse, that requires the payment of a premium by the tenant to the landlord. Where the lease granted is of less than 50 years, some of the premium charged will be treated as rent.


Allowable Deductions

A person may claim a deduction from gross rent for legitimate property related expenses as follows:

  • Ground Rent
  • Rates
  • Maintenance
  • General Repairs (Capital Expenditure excluded)
  • Insurance
  • Management Fees: paid to an agent e.g. rent collection

Note: Landlords may not claim for their own labour.

  • Service charges (water/refuse etc.)
  • Advertising for tenants
  • Accountants fees for preparing rental accounts 96/97 onwards.
  • Wear and Tear – Depreciation of furniture and fittings

With effect from 4 December 2002 the allowance is 12.5% per year over 8 years.

For the period between 1 December 2001 and 3 December 2002 the allowance was 20% per year over 5 years. Transitional provisions apply allowing the rate of 20% per year over 5 years if the item was acquired under a written contract before 4 December 2002 and the expenditure was incurred before 31 January 2003.

Prior to 1 January 2001 the allowance was 15% per year for the first 6 years and 10% in the 7th year

Building Expenditure – in a Renewal incentive area

Interest – Relief is due for 75% of interest paid on loans to purchase, improve or repair a residential premises (some exceptions).

Note: No relief due on interest paid on loans granted between 23/4/1998 and 31/12/2001 inclusive.

During this period interest relief continued to be allowed for

  1. a) Commercial lettings and
  2. b) Existing residential lettings at 23/4/98, provided the landlord owned the premises at 23/4/98.

Additional Information

Rent paid to non-resident landlord – If the rent is paid to an agent acting on behalf of landlord, agent is assessed on the rent.
If however the rent is paid to the landlord abroad or to an account on his behalf the tenant must deduct tax at the standard rate from the payments and remit that tax to Revenue.

Claiming relief on buying/selling a house/apartment

How much tax relief will I get?

Tax relief is granted on the amount of the interest paid, subject to the overall limits please refer to Tax Relief at Source (TRS) for Mortgage Interest Relief .

How can I claim the relief?

From 1 January 2002, tax relief for home mortgage interest is no longer given through the tax system but is instead granted at source. This means that your mortgage lender gives you the benefit of the tax relief element on the mortgage interest on behalf of the Revenue Commissioners.
Your mortgage repayment is reduced by the amount of the tax relief. Your lender in turn claims this amount from Revenue. Any future adjustments in the tax relief (for example, arising from changes in interest rates) will be made automatically by the lender on behalf of Revenue. It is not necessary to claim mortgage interest relief in the annual tax return, and it no longer appears on your Tax Credit Certificate. Borrowers who are taking out new mortgages or who wish to claim for relief due for previous years must  apply online.

Home Improvement Loans

Can I claim tax relief on a loan for home improvements?

Yes. You can claim tax relief on a loan used by you to purchase, repair, develop or improve your sole or main residence or to pay off another loan (or loans) used for that purpose.

What can the loan be used for?

The loan can be used for most work done on your sole or main residence except for money spent on furniture or removable fittings (e.g. light fittings, curtains, carpets etc.). Examples of what the loan may be used for are:

  • Extensions, purchase/construction of garage, garden shed, greenhouse etc.
  • Construction of driveway, path etc.
  • Conversions, painting and decorating
  • Installing central heating
  • Rewiring or replumbing (including bathroom suites)
  • Replacing or installing windows
  • Purchase and/or installation of burglar/fire alarms
  • Purchase and installation of bedroom and kitchen units which are affixed to and become part of the building
  • Treatment for damp, dry rot, woodworm etc.
  • Landscaping gardens (including garden walls)
  • Contributions to group water and sewerage schemes.

Selling a House

If I sell my house will I have to pay Capital Gains Tax?

If you sell your home (your sole or main residence) you may be entitled to Principal Private Residence (PPR) relief from Capital Gains Tax (CGT). If the residence (as defined above) has been occupied as your sole or main residence throughout your period of ownership, and PPR relief is not restricted for any other reason, you will be exempt from CGT on the sale. Where the house has a garden of up to one acre (0.405 hectare) this land can also be considered as part of your home for the calculation of PPR relief, the relief will not apply to land in excess of this area. Although in most cases where an individual sells their home full PPR relief will apply, relief may be restricted where the house (or part of the house) has been let or used for business purposes, or where the property has “development value”. Relief may also be restricted where the individual has not used the house as their home for the full period of ownership. However, the last twelve months of ownership may be considered to be a period of deemed occupation for PPR relief purposes, this might be relevant for example where a person has moved into a new home but is still selling their previous home.

Please note that even where PPR relief means that no CGT is payable you will still be required to provide a tax return in relation to the sale.

For further information please refer to Revenue’s Guide to Capital Gains Tax (PDF, 1.74MB)

Other Useful Information

Local Property Tax – Sale / transfer of ownership of residential property

We hope that you find the above information useful. If there are any aspects of which you are unsure, please ask us. We look forward to being of assistance to you in the letting and management of your property.

Our Contact details:
Phone: 0599143100