Kilkenny is a medieval town in Ireland’s Sunny Southeast. Its rich history is still very noticable in the city’s ancient street. Amongst a wide array of amenities, and attractions, the famous Kilkenny Castle stands proud among immaculately kept grounds – a magnet for family leisure activities. It’s also a crafts hub, with shops along its winding lanes selling pottery, paintings and jewellery.
Shopping & Dining
Kilkenny City provides a vibrant shopping experience. Fashion boutiques, high-street apparel chains, and more are all in walking distance of the city centre, and in its numerous shopping centres. It is home to all the major supermarkets, and numerous food stores catering to international tastes. The city is also highly regarded for its choice of dining options, including family-run cafés, fast-food, casual dining, a variety of mixed cuisine and award-winning restaurants.
Sports & Recreation
Kilkenny is famous for its love of hurling. There are a wide range of quality clubs in the city, including GAA, soccer and lots more. There is also a range of community groups that organise physical activity sessions, including active retirement associations, and family resource centres. Kilkenny has numerous local amenities including cinemas, a sports stadium, a public library and of course great pubs, to name but a few.
Education and Living
There is an excellent choice of educational facilities in Kilkenny. A selection of creches, primary and secondary schools, and colleges are available, and it is less than 30 minutes drive from Carlow IT. The city is well-served with a variety of churches of many differing traditions. All the major financial institutions and the Credit Union have branches located in Kilkenny.
Kilkenny is located only 100km from Dublin and is served by the M9 motorway to Waterford/Dublin (via M7), and several secondary roads. The city is extremely accessible by public transport with regular trains and buses, including direct routes to Dublin Airport.
FOOD & DRINK
- The Grapevine Café/ Winebar 6 Rose Inn St (30 seconds from The Parade on the right.), ☎ 056 7712956
- Kilkenny Design Centre, Castle Yard, ☎ 056 7722118
- Kytelers Inn, Kieran St. Probably Kilkenny’s most famous pub and restaurant.
- Rinuccini, 1 The Parade, ☎ 056 7761575. Authentic Italian restaurant opposite the castle.
- Zuni, 26 Patrick St, ☎ +353 (0)56 7723999, . Very good restaurant on Edwardian Street. Attention paid to terrior.
- Cleere’s Bar and Theatre, 28, Parliament Street (Opposite the Watergate Theatre). Very popular bar that also puts on small shows in its theatre out back.
- The Left Bank, Parade, ☎ 056 7750016 A trendy bar in a former bank. This stunning building is in the heart of the city.
- Kytelers Inn, Kieran St, ☎ 056 721064 Great old bar, full of character, tourists and locals. Has a great beer garden.
- Matt the Millers, 1 John Street (Right beside John’s Bridge), ☎ 056 7761696 Very popular pub. Often has a late bar, so open after other pubs close.
- The Marble City Bar, 66 High Street
- The Pumphouse, (Opposite the Watergate Theatre), Great pub for a quiet drink during the week, but can be very busy on weekends.
- Castlecomer Discovery Park
- Medieval Mile Museum
- Dunmore Caves
- Kilkenny Castle
- Kilkenny Road Train Tours
- The Watershed